Why not get creative this Easter weekend, and bake some yummy Easter Egg Cookies! Plus….they’re nut free!
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 500 g icing sugar
- Food colouring
- Sugar decorations if you’d like to add as an extra
- In your mixer or food processor, add the butter and sugar and mix until combined.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt, and stir to combine until a dough ball forms.
- Shape this into a disk and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Once the hour has passed, get your baking tray ready, and add a piece of baking paper (so your cookies don’t stick to the pan!)
- Pre-heat your oven to 160 degrees C
- Dust your bench surface lightly with some flour, and roll out the disk of dough using a rolling pin. Roll to a 5mm thickness.
- Dip your biscuit cutter into some flour and cut your shapes out, placing them on the tray as your go. Sprinkle with caster sugar.
- Bake for approx. 25 mins, until slightly golden.
- Remove once baked from oven, and leave to cool.
- Using a hand mixer, mix the egg whites until frothy, add the lemon juice and gradually add the sifted icing sugar until fully combined.
- Pour the icing mixture into four separate bowls and colour each one with a touch of food colouring. Using a knife, spread half the icing over the biscuits. Pour the remaining icing into ziplock bags to use as piping bags and snip the tip off and decorate the iced biscuits. Add any sugared decorations you want to add.